Letters

The idea for this writing prompt is very straightforward. Write a letter to someone or something. You don't necessarily have to send the letter, and it doesn't have to be written to anyone that you know. In fact, you might have some fun writing a letter to an inanimate object, or to your favorite artist, or your least favorite politician.

Here's a link to a blog site that is dedicated entirely to what are called 'Open Letters'. Some of the letters on this site are addressed to Martha Stewart, toilet paper, someone's dog, the 'home' key on the keyboard, youtube, and many others. Of course, these kinds of letters don't have to be funny, and sometimes a letter is the best way to express the thoughts and feelings you may have about something sad or personal. Below you'll find a letter that I wrote when I was thinking about this post that may come under the more sad version:

==========================================

Dear Dorothy,

I don't actually believe in an afterlife, or that you can read the words that I'm writing, but I still wanted to say that you didn't deserve to be treated this way. I would condemn your family or the barbarous times you must have lived through, except people today are much the same. Sometimes I don't know what else to do than write down a few words, and put them in the mail. I guess I'm trying to say, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you had to be treated this way, and I hope that during your life you were able to enjoy something of the beauty of the world, and that it was not all as it would seem. I try to imagine what you looked like, and I try to imagine your hair in sunlight. I try to think of the ways that you made others laugh, how you laughed, and I try not to think of what inspired the hatred inscribed on your gravestone. If nothing else, let these words be a pledge on my behalf to never treat anyone this way, to always seek out the best in my fellows, and to live as fully as I can each and every day. I don't believe in an afterlife, but I will say all the same, rest in peace.

Jon

p.s.
All that is known about Dorothy Ann Whitaker

==========================================

4 comments

Mariana Soffer said...

Dear Morrisey:
First of all I wanted to tell you that I have a deep admiration towards you,
that I think you are a really talented artist, a honest one, that you are always looking for ways
to be an even better musician an poet, to dig deeper in yourself to manage to extract the deepest truth
stored inside you..That you are always paying attention to detect when is the right time for renewing your
style, and create something new, innovatet for real.
I also wanted to tell you that your lyrics, well many of them, are fantastic and that you are a marvelous singer.
I used to like the smiths, but the last 4 cd s you made solo where much better musically and inspired than the
docens you did before.
I would like to understand a little bit what is it that makes you suffer so much. Which is the origin of all that pain
you carry with you, It can not be just because you are gay, there is much more to it.
I think it might had to deal with your extreme sensibility.
Ok dear quarry, I send you my regards and I am eagerly waiting for your answer
Mariana

December 9, 2009 at 6:10 AM
Jon said...

Mariana,
Nice one! I'll see if I can get in touch with his agent and get this to him!

But I was thinking about his suffering and his tragic lyrics. I wonder if he's not a bit ironic about this? As perhaps you've got a bit of irony in your letter?

;)

Either way, I'm for sure going to see what Smiths tunes I can find on youtube for the rest of the morning. Thanks a lot for this letter Mariana. You're a gem...

December 9, 2009 at 7:01 AM

I rather like this prompt. I can think of at least 5 people/things I would want to write to right now. Stay tuned for results.

December 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM
Jon said...

Mazikeen,
Looking forward to what you come up with! I'll keep an eye on your site...

December 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM