Fan Fiction

Do you ever read a book and wish that it didn't have to end? Do you ever find yourself wondering what would have happened if some of the characters in a book had a conversation that the author never wrote? Well wonder and wish no more...

Fan fiction is a genre of writing in which fans of particular books, movies, TV shows, and games continue the story where the author left off in the original. I was introduced to fan fiction by a friend, Mist Shadow, who is an author on the site Harry Potter Fan Fiction. The amount of writing that has been done in response to J.K. Rowling's books and the Harry Potter movies is staggering, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that this is the most active kind of fan fiction around.

However if you take a look at the site FanFiction.net, you'll see that many books have a very active fan base continuing to build the story. I was interested to find a category on Homer's Odyssey, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, and even Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I thought that I'd try writing some fan fiction on this last book. I love this story and have always wondered what would have happened if Dr. Jekyll had embraced his inner Hyde, even cultivated the darker side of his alter-ego, and decided not to end his own life. Check back a little later and see the results of my experiment...

In the mean time, if you want to write some fan fiction of your own, leave me a note so I can check it out. The possibilities seem endless for having fun with this form of writing.

7 comments

Harlequin said...

I like this idea....
now you got me musing....always dangerous...

November 3, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I love that you've done a feature on fan-fiction. it seems like such an under-appreciated genre. I have actually written a few fan-fics for a community on Livejournal based on the telvision show Supernatural, and am currently working on one that continues from where the comic book series Deadpool left off after issue number 11. to check them out, visit:
http://www.x-desdemona-x.livejournal.com

November 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM

...you might also want to add that fan-fictions do not always just pick up where the original left off, but also include alternate universes, "behind-the-scenes" looks (i.e. what was also happening at the same time with other characters, and sometimes even fufill the fantasies of the writer by using supposed subtext to write about romances that were not actually present the first time around!

November 7, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Jon said...

Harle,

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Mazikeen,

Thanks for your input on fan fiction. You bring up some good points. When I do an update on this post I'll for sure add in some of the ideas you bring up, if that's OK with you.

Also, I checked out the livejournal account you linked, but I can't find the writing on Deadpool... maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot? Let me know where to look, will you?

November 11, 2009 at 8:52 PM
Jon said...

Here's a link to the fan fiction I'm working on, though it's still a work in progress. Right click the link and open in a new window:

LINK

November 13, 2009 at 1:42 AM

I just tried the link myself and apparently there is no www. in a livejournal url. sorry about that. Here is the real link (copy+pasted):

http://x-desdemona-x.livejournal.com/

Don't scroll down, just click on "previous 10 entries" on the left side of the banner at the top. the first one is approximately the fifth one down...there are 3, and they're in reverse chronological order. Oh, and I apologize if you have to highlight to read--I'm still working on finding an appropriate background.

November 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM
Jon said...

Mazikeen,

Thanks for getting back on that... I'll go and have a look there now.

November 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM