Starrify

I was given a link to the most starrific website by Mazikeen. It's called Save the Words. The idea of the site is to allow users to adopt words that have been put on the chopping block by whoever it is that decides what words get dropped from the English language. The site asks you to adopt such a word and try to use it in speech and writing in an effort to save it from annahilation. And even though there is no dictionary definition, I've tried to use my adopted word in the short poem below. Check out the Save the Words site. And if you write up a post with one of the doomed words, let me know. I'm interested to keep as many words alive as possible.

===========================================

How can I move across this space?
How can I starrify the night
and keep this memory
when the sound of our hearts sings
like the song of two strings
drawn by one bow?
How can I move across this space?

==========================================

7 comments

Mariana Soffer said...

Depends where you want to go, but I recomend that you go trough one internet step at a time with your data, and there recalculate the best path. Also re think what you are taking with you, cause you might change your opinion in the middle. You know these modern things are really dinamic. They should work with constant changes.

September 19, 2009 at 3:28 AM
Jon said...

Mariana,

As should language... eh?

And yeah, I'll be careful of what baggage I take along. Thanks for the good advice!

September 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM
Z said...

It's words that have pretty well lost their actual meaning that I miss, as much as words that are dying out altogether. I was quite pleased, a few weeks ago, to have the opportunity to use 'aftermath' when the field in front of our house was being cut for hay again.

September 19, 2009 at 7:47 AM
Harlequin said...

I resonate with more than intellectual commitment to the idea of adopting a word. What a simple idea; and what sweet poem you have used to convey this.
So many ways to inhabit this landscape, so many ways to move and express in the service of the lovely work of word(s).

September 19, 2009 at 1:30 PM
Jon said...

Z,
Don't think that we should let go of great words like 'aftermath'. Especially as I was about as good at math as a butterfly trying to fly with its cocoon still on!

Harle,
Thanks for your thoughts and reflections here... which are always so much more poetic than the posts I put up! Lovely thought you have here. Would like to see where this thought bubble takes you...

September 22, 2009 at 4:06 AM

hey I'm glad you liked my link! and although I think you already did, feel free to link my blog...the more feedback the better!

p.s. the subject of my third haiku is a character from Marvel Comics with some mental issues. it's alright if you can't guess...no one has yet!

September 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM
Jon said...

Mazikeen,
Thanks. And yeah, it's always good to have a few people reading your writing, I find. As you say, the feedback is good.

September 23, 2009 at 9:24 PM