Make me care about the lettuce

The genesis of this writing prompt comes from Guy Allen, a teacher of writing at the University of Toronto, Mississauga. This exercise asks you to write a narrative about something mundane. For example, let me share the one that I'm planning to write myself:

You know how at a restaurant when you order a hamburger (or a veggie burger as the case may be) and there is usually a single leaf of lettuce that comes on the plate? Ever notice how that piece of lettuce is often left uneaten and returns to the dish pit to be discarded in the food disposal, shunned and unwanted? Why is it that people usually eat the fries, the slice of tomato and the pickle, but leave the lettuce behind? Why doesn't anyone care about this misunderstood vegetable?

The point of this writing prompt is simple: write about something mundane and ordinary, anything you want really, but in a way that makes it interesting. I'm going to write one about lettuce (it's too good to pass up for me!) and post it in the next day or so. Leave me a comment if you come up with something ordinary and everyday to write about so I can check it out. I would love to see where this leads you.

3 comments

slightly unrelated, but you should check out the website http://www.savethewords.org it's a website that is trying to save the ever-dwindling english language (due to texting, msn, etc). you can even adopt some words and pledge to use them in everyday speak!

September 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Jon said...

Mazikeen,

Now that is a cool site. I just adopted a word... going to use it in a new post. This is also a great idea for an expressive subject. I'll use this in my next post. Thanks!

September 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM
Jon said...

I have a narrative for Make me care about the lettuce posted on one of my other blogs. Right click and open in new window this link:

LINK

September 19, 2009 at 1:35 AM