Image Expressive


===========================
on the path
spread as the bones of a wing
steps bouncing off rocks
a hush, deep mist settling,
sun pushing all the way home
===========================

This is a photo from a walking trail in Niagara Falls. The path leads to (or comes from, depending on your point of view) the Whirlpool, a place that few travelers seem to go. It's a bit of a hike from the more touristy parts of the Falls, and even on the busiest days of the summer there's usually no more than a few other people. There's lots of different birds and interesting driftwood and stones along the beach.

The piece of brick you see in the photo above seemed to have been quite purposely planted in the trail by someone, and seemed to have been quite purposely engraved by someone too. I kept my eyes open for others like it, but found only this one. Go figure...

If you want to try an "image expressive" yourself the concept is quite simple. Just post a photo on your blog and try to come up with some words you want to twin with it. I did another one of these posts a couple weeks ago that you can check out by clicking this link. Let me know if you come up with something so I can take a look.

3 comments

Harlequin said...

I especially liked the image of spread like the bones of a wing... the more I look at this rock and the letters the more I see this wing,these bones...
this is a nice exercise
thanks

what to say about this image...

a stone that calls and calls again
unearthing memory and hope
interrupted gazes back

September 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Jon said...

Thanks Harle,

Your poem in response shows up the one that I had for the image for sure... like having the stage stolen!

;)

Thanks for stopping by and for your thoughts as always.

September 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM
Harlequin said...

your poem was my inspiration... it drew a picture for me and gave me a wonderful felt sense of the sun pushing.... I thought the sounds in the poem were touchstones for the sounds of the woods... and thanks for the compliment.
;)

September 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM